Titel: Mathematics with a Microcomputer : Problems,...
Verlag: Ward Lock Educational Co. Ltd., London
Zustand: Very Good
Zustand des Schutzumschlags: No Dust Jacket
Auflage: First Edition.
Art des Buches: Used
Soft cover has light creases at front and back and light signs of corner wear, otherwise it is sound. Contents in very good clean condition. T. Buchnummer des Verkäufers 239057
Inhaltsangabe: Mathematics with a Microcomputer is a source book of ideas designed to encourage constructive mathematical use of computers by taking advantage of the opportunities they provide to stimulate and clarify mathematical thinking. It will be of particular interest to secondary mathematics teachers, and bright pupils (11-18+) should be able to use much of the material with minimal supervision. The authors expect that university students will also find the book interesting and useful.
Much mathematical activity involves creating algorithms and establishing proofs, and the authors hope this book will provide a useful introduction to these important mathematical processes. Each chapter concentrates on a single mathematical theme. A problem is introduced, an appropriate algorithm is developed, and questions are set that require readers to develop their own algorithms and write and run short programs. Though BASIC language programs are developed the short algorithms can easily be adapted to other languages or software such as spreadsheets and graph-plotters.
The mathematical background to each theme is developed rigorously and readers should make every effort to understand the arguments and tackle the problems posed. Most chapters can be read independently of each other, but where appropriate, cross-references have been given.
Topics covered include :
1. Factors, prime numbers, Eratosthenes' sieve, perfect numbers, Mersenne primes, Goldbach's conjecture, the infinity of primes, Fermat's 'Little Theorem'.
2. Euclid's Algorithm (highest common factors), lowest common multiples, 'the game of Euclid'.
3. Fractions, Egyptian fractions, Farey sequences.
4. Fibonacci sequences, the golden ratio.
5. Decimal expansions of fractions, recurring decimals.
6. Binary expansions of decimals - why computer calculations are not always exact.
7. Approximating decimals by fractions, continued fractions. pi , e , root of 2 , …
8. Square roots and cube roots.
9. Pythagorean triples. Fermat's last theorem.
10. Solving f(x)=0. xn+1=g(xn) , bisection method, method of false position, Newton-Raphson method.
11. Dividing without division.
12. Linear simultaneous equations - Jacobi method, Gauss-Seidel method.
13. Instant interest - consideration of (1+x/n)n. Nominal and effective rates of interest.
14. Logarithms - an interesting algorithm for finding log10x and hence of finding the logarithm of any (positive) number in any (positive) base. Mean Value Theorem. Taylor's theorem.
15. Taylor (& Maclaurin) series - sinx, cosx, ln(1+x), ln((1+x)/(1-x)), tan-1x, ex . Gregory's series.
16. Numerical integration - rectangles, trapezium method, Simpson's rule.
17. Random numbers - various problems including the Buffon Needle problem.
Answers and, where appropriate, model programs to the questions are included at the end of the book.
...the authors...have done a splendid job with this book -- The Guardian, October 3 1985
All who wish to explore the use of a computer .. in teaching + learning mathematics will find .. a useful source of problems, programs + ideas for investigation -- The Mathematical Gazette, October 1986
This is one of the first valuable books about mathematics and computers which most teachers can afford to buy -- Micromath, Autumn 1985
Dieser Anbieter akzeptiert die folgenden Zahlungsarten:
AbeBooks Verkäufer seit: 6. Oktober 2003
To pay by PayPal, just paste this link into your browser: paypal.me/PsychoBabelSkoob PsychoBabel Books in Oxfordshire and Skoob Books in London (Russell Square Tube) are solely owned by Chris Edwards, 56b Jubilee Avenue, Milton Park, Abingdon Oxfordshire. OX14 4RX. Prompt dispatch on clearance of payment. If any doubt about condition of book in addition to that described please e-mail or call. PsychoBabel & Skoob Books 56b Jubilee Avenue, Milton Park Abingdon, Oxfordshire OX14 4RX Telephone 0123...[Mehr Information]
We post every weekday! All shipping quotes are based on fast efficient service with the best possible packaging.
Standard charge is based on average weight of books - about 0.9Kg. Heavy items (over 1.5Kg) may require extra postage depending on destination. We'll e-mail you if necessary.
Anbieterinformationen: To pay by PayPal, just paste this link into your browser: paypal.me/PsychoBabelSkoob PsychoBabel Books in Oxfordshire and Skoob Books in London (Russell Square Tube)are run and owned by Chris Edwards operating as a sole trader. We have bought all our books and take great care with the storage and listing of each one. As well as over 107,000 listings we have nearly 100,000 in our London shop and probably five times as many awaiting attention in the warehouse. We have been selling with a five-star rating continuously sine 2003 on AbeBooks. PsychoBabel and Skoob buy from private individuals and prestigious libraries. We are NOT 'barcoders' but dedicated book lovers, offering an excellent service. We enjoy receiving phone calls and we handle each order individually. We dispatch our orders daily and accommodate customers all over the world. Our wonderful packaging is not charged for. Please email or call with any queries or requests for photos.