Mount Pleasant Cemetery is located in the northwest corner of Edmonson County, Kentucky near the borders of Grayson and Butler counties. The cemetery is adjacent to Mt. Pleasant Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The surrounding area is known as Big Reedy. Big Reedy is approximately 25 miles (40 km) due north of Bowling Green, or 13 miles south of Caneyville. Mt. Pleasant C. P. Church was established in 1887 and the first community schoolhouse was built in 1896. The schoolhouse still stands, unused since 1940. The cemetery was in use much earlier, during the settlement years. The oldest legible death date in the cemetery is 1848. Some of the 70+ field rocks serving as headstones no doubt pre-date this "earliest date" to the late 1700's and very early 1800's. There are 650 marked graves in Mt. Pleasant, 578 of which have legible tombstones. No doubt many original markers have been lost due to the ravages of time. There are at least 75 possible gravesites in the original old section (A) of the cemetery that are not marked. The wrought-iron fence and entry portal to Mount Pleasant Cemetery are gone. However the serenity and beauty of the hillside cemetery have not lessened. This index is a composite of a 1979 pen & paper survey and a 2014 photo survey. The 2014 survey assigned a Section, Row, and Plot number to each burial. This was done in an effort to assist in finding the individual grave of an ancestor.
Die Inhaltsangabe kann sich auf eine andere Ausgabe dieses Titels beziehen.