A Brief Introduction to the Old Testament is, in my view, the best concise introduction to the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible for undergraduates. Coogan is a precise and lucid writer and a top-notch scholar who is both at the forefront of a broad range of biblical scholarship and can distill that knowledge into accessible erudition. ( Martien Halvorson-Taylor, University of Virginia)
This is my favorite textbook for Introduction to the Old Testament. Coogan offers a wealth of comparative material that illuminates the biblical text. ( Karina Hogan, Fordham University)
This is an outstanding textbook. It is clear in its organization, presentation, and prose. ( Robert Stoops, Western Washington University)
Engaging and accessible to students from all backgrounds, A Brief Introduction to the Old Testament: The Hebrew Bible in Its Context, Third Edition, is an updated and concise version of Michael D. Coogan's best-selling The Old Testament: A Historical and Literary Introduction to the Hebrew Scriptures, Third Edition (OUP, 2013). Coogan works primarily from a historical and critical methodology but also introduces students to literary analysis and other interpretive strategies.
Providing a nondenominational and nondoctrinal treatment, this text offers a unique and captivating introduction to the Hebrew scriptures themselves and to how they have been?and can be?interpreted.
* Chapter introductions connecting each chapter to the preceding material and previewing the material to come
* Chapter summaries that highlight key points and link each chapter to the rest of the book
* Important terms, boldfaced at their first appearance and defined in the glossary
* Numerous strategically placed text boxes that offer interesting and useful supplementary information
* Timelines, photos, illustrations, maps, and a four-color insert on Jerusalem in biblical times
* Review questions, suggestions for further reading, a general bibliography, and annotated bibliographies at the end of each chapter
* A FREE 6-month subscription to Oxford Biblical Studies Online (www.oxfordbiblicalstudies.com)?a $180 value?with the purchase of every new copy of this text.
„Über diesen Titel“ kann sich auf eine andere Ausgabe dieses Titels beziehen.